Drake has been ordered to give a deposition or make an appearance in court later this month for the XXXTentacion murder trial.
Drake has never been implicated by the prosecution in the death of XXXTentacion. In its place, they have claimed that XXX (actual name Jahseh Onfroy) was slain in June 2018 following a heist outside a motorbike shop that swiftly became violent. A defence lawyer for one of the three suspects, Dedrick Williams, Mauricio Padilla, has made the claim that Drake is somehow associated with Onfroy’s death.
The move to involve Drake seems to stem from an Instagram Stories post where XXXTentacion wrote in all caps, “If anyone tries to kill me it was @champagnepapi. Im snitching rn.” He later claimed he was hacked and was murdered a few months later.
View this post on Instagram
Drake and his reported quarrel with XXX have been brought up by Padilla as a potential counterargument to the murder. At the end of January, he made an attempt to summon the Toronto rapper for a deposition, saying that he had been duly served but failed to appear, reports Rollingstone.
In his opening arguments on Tuesday, Padilla said, “Before X died, he said, ‘If anybody kills me, it’s Drake.’ Do you think sitting here years later, any detective has ever asked Drake or anybody like that? No.” He also noted, “This is one of the biggest celebrities in the world. Excluding an order from this court, we all know that I will never be able to take his deposition.”